As Autumn is my favourite shooting month, I have put together a few of my fall favourites. These are most of the essentials of my photography during September- October as I mix and match for my flatlays.
A wood or canvas backdrop is perfect for arranging items and both evoke a darker and cooler mood. Think greys and browns for styling…
Here are some of my Fall favourites…
- Berries. You cannot do fall layouts without florals and late summer berries take over the stage. Cranberries grow abundantly in my yard and are perfect for styling through the season.
- Pine Cones– I love to add texture to my photography and since my evergreens and spruce trees shed their cones during this time, I have plenty to work with. Here I have created a potpourri of cones, acorns, dried berries, dried apples and nut bits.
- Leaves-Well if you don’t have these forget it. The quintessential mainstay of Autumn and the lovely colour and varied shapes round out a perfect Autumn flatlay.
- Dried lavender. My fresh summer lavender is now dried, and continues to be fragrant. I can use it in teas or just for added texture.
- Nests– Would you believe that I was complaining to my husband that I never see any bird’s nests in all my walks through the park trails. The next thing I know, he has put the word out, and Voila! I now have 4 bird’s nests of various sizes! Nests are so unique, and special and fall is the perfect time to display them as our birdies have left for warm weather.
- Crab Apples. September fruit and oh so good for jelly making. I am still deciding if I am going to attempt to make it, but nevertheless, adding some fruit to your photo adds colour and shape.
- Tea-What is Fall without some new teas to try? As the weather gets cooler, I cozy up with a small pot of tea. This cinnamon rooibos chai hits the spot on a cold fall day. Tea pots and even tea leaves are lovely in photos as well.
- Fall linens- grey, browns, natural and black. Checked and plaid-they all work nicely.
Add some books, branches and some coffee and you’re all set. Happy styling!